What is 3DSecure 2?
Useful article for more information on 3DSecure - 3D Secure (3DS) FAQ's
3DS 2.0 offers additional fraud protection by analysing the customer’s contextual data using risk-based authentication and prompting them to verify their identity only on high-risk transactions, avoiding the need for every customer to actively authenticate.
- It has been shown that 3DS 2.0 can increase conversion rates by almost 8%, reduce false declines and is overall a better checkout experience
- More on 3D Secure 2.0 below:
What does 3DSecure 2.0 look like?
- There is 1 extra step in the Checkout process (adding billing info), no pop ups and no OTP or fingerprint needed!
- When a transaction is trusted the customer will continue on the Frictionless Flow (No OTP or Biometrics required to authenticate)
- If a transaction is deemed suspicious or high-risk, the customer is then required to authenticate (OTP or Biometrics) in the Challenge Flow.
- No OTP or Biometrics required to authenticate
- If a transaction is deemed suspicious or high-risk, the customer is then required to authenticate (OTP or Biometrics)
What is risk-based authentication?
Risk-based authentication is the process of determining the risk attached to a particular transaction and, based on that risk level, whether or not the customer should be challenged.
The risk-based assessment includes:
The value of the transaction
New or existing customer
What does this mean for Peach Merchants?
Peach Merchants are not required to make any changes, although they do have the option to submit additional data related to customers and transactions to further improve their customer’s online purchasing experience.
So should you? It has been shown that 3DS 2.0 can increase conversion rates by almost 8%, reduce false declines and is overall a better checkout experience.
Additional data points:
Address Match Indicator
Browser IP Address
Cardholder Billing Address
Cardholder Email Address
Cardholder Home, Mobile, Work Phone Number
3DS Requestor Non-payment Indicator
Cardholder Shipping Address
DS Reference Number
EMV Payment Token Indicator
SDK Encrypted Data
3DS Requestor Challenge Indicator
3DS Server Operator ID
Cardholder Account Identifier
Peach Payments will be supporting 3DS 2.0 by 31st October 2021 and will be expecting all Merchants to support 3DS 2.0 by 31st October 2022 as 3DS 1.0 will no longer be supported by our banks.
Peach Payments is always looking to improve our product and customer experience. 3DS 2.0 is the next step in fraud prevention and a big leap in improving the customer online purchasing experience.