The rates for AMEX are typically 1% higher than for Visa and MasterCard. Please note that AMEX also charges a R100.00 set-up fee. AMEX has a separate set-up process, as explained below:
For AMEX, we assist you with the process:
- Complete and sign the AMEX application form (NB. Please initial the highlighted parts on page 2 of 2 of the application form)
- Complete and sign the AMEX Safekey Addendum. The Safekey Addendum will be the agreement between the merchant and AMEX. With Safekey, the Fraud Liability Shift will apply to all our merchants. It will work as it does with Visa and MasterCard, so Safekey is like the 3DS of AMEX. This means that liability shifts from you to the issuer and you should not be liable for a chargeback if you as the merchant attempt/process a Safekey transaction.
- In total, there will be two documents for AMEX to be completed- the AMEX application form and the Safekey addendum.
- Once the completed forms are returned to us, we submit these to AMEX. AMEX will then process the application, then enable Safekey.
- This process usually takes about 5- 7 working days. If you wish to have AMEX configured for your merchant account, please may you email us on firstname.lastname@example.org and we can assist you with the application process.